Usability testing is a great way to test the functionality of a website or app. As a UX researcher, UX designer or Product Manager, this usability testing template makes testing wireframes, prototypes, user journeys etc. simpler and more efficient.
This Usability Testing Template contains 5 blocks with sample questions and an option to supplement your survey data with Emotion AI technologies like Facial Coding and Eye Tracking to accurately identify friction points and minimize user drop-offs.
You can also get insights like an overall Usability Score, Misclicks, Drop-offs, Bounce Rates, etc. and optimize the problem areas in your UI/UX Design. So, what are you waiting for? Use this usability testing template today!
When Should You Use This Usability Testing Template?
Usability testing should be conducted at multiple touchpoints throughout your product development cycle. Here are some instances where conducting a usability test is an absolute must-
- Before starting your UI/UX Design Process- To help prioritize users' major pain points.
- After moving into the Evaluative Stage- Once you are done generating ideas and have created a wireframe or prototype, conduct a usability test to validate or invalidate your UI/UX Design.
- Post Launch- Every time you add new features or optimize any issues, ensure that you conduct a usability test.
- Uncertain Situations- When decisions are clouded by gut-instinct or baseless suggestions, use usability testing to make data-driven decisions.
What Can You Expect After Conducting Usability Testing?
Usability Testing aims to answer questions like-
- “Why are my users dropping off?”
- “Where are the friction points in the user journey?”
- “Is the prototype user-friendly?”
- “How are my users interacting with the product?”
- “How is the functionality of the product?”
- “How to provide a bug-free user experience?”
- “Why are the users not converting to customers?”
What is in this Usability Template?
You can easily conduct a Usability Test using this Template on Qatalyst. The template already has sample survey questions for a quick and seamless testing experience.
How to Use the Usability Testing Template?
Step 1 - Log in to the Qatalyst Platform to access the Dashboard
Step 2- Click on “Start From Templates” on the Qatalyst Dashboard
Step 3- Click on “Usability Testing” and then the template named “Usability testing a new product”
Step 4- Click on “Use This Template” to get started
Step 5- You can customize the “Welcome Page” and choose different layouts, logic and properties.
Step 6- Add your question in the Thumbs/Down Block and a block description (optional). Or you can go ahead with the existing sample question “Have you used [Product] before?”
Step 7- Add the question in the Multiple Choice Question Block, a block description (optional) and the answer options. Or you can go ahead with the existing sample question “If yes, how often do you use [Product] per week?”.
Step 8- Add the question in the Prototype Test Block and add a Figma link to Import the Prototype. Or you can use the existing question in the template “Imagine you were trying to accomplish [sending money] from your account”.
Step 9- In the following two Short Answer Blocks, add your survey questions or use the existing ones available.
Step 10- You can add new blocks by clicking on the “+” button. You can also customize the thank you page.
Once you set up the test, just click on Publish and share the test link or QR with your respondents using social media, URL, or Email.
Best Practices for Performing Usability Tests
Here are 5 things you need to keep in mind while conducting successful usability tests-
- Use Emotion AI technologies like Facial Coding and Eye Tracking
- Identify user pain points before conducting a usability test
- Have a clear set of goals and objectives that you want to achieve with the usability test
- Measure metrics like misclicks, bounce rate and drop-offs.
- Analyze user journeys to identify alternate paths users take from the start to the goal screen.
What are the Advantages of Using This Usability Testing Template?
This Usability testing template offers a range of benefits, some of which are-
- Teams can conduct usability tests faster, helping them save on developmental costs.
- Makes the testing process much more efficient by providing relevant blocks with sample questions.
- Helps make the website or app more user-friendly and personalized to user needs with metrics like usability score.
- Improves the navigation, information architecture and accessibility by helping you map user journeys with the prototype testing block.
- Helps reduce user drop-offs and increases conversion rates by providing user insights like misclicks and bounce rates.
- Helps eliminate any user cognitive bias with Facial Coding and Eye Tracking
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is Usability Testing?
In user research, usability testing is used to understand how users interact with the website or app. It helps gauge how user-friendly and intuitive the website or app design is and if delivers a good user experience.
Why Should I Conduct a Usability Test?
Providing a seamless user experience is not the only reason you should be conducting a usability test. Here are a few other reasons why usability testing should be on your UX roadmap-
- Identifying friction points in the user journey.
- Understanding and analyzing user behavior
- Comparing your website or app against industry benchmarks
- Testing your website or app against various interfaces