A website or app is loaded with a variety of features. But, not all features are as important for users. So how do you ensure that a user is able to discover the features that matter to them, without any hassle? As a UX Developer or Designer or Product Manager, this feature discoverability template makes testing the discoverability of features simple, seamless and efficient.
When Should You Use This Feature Discoverability Template?
Feature Discoverability testing is not a one-time exercise. Here are a few instances where conducting this test makes sense-
1. When you have added a new feature to your product and want to ensure it is discoverable by your target audience.
2. When you want to test the performance of new features or compare performance with old features.
3. When you want to understand how many users are using the feature as compared to your predicted usage.
4. When you want to check where the feature is more visible - website or app.
If any of these instances relates to you, this feature discoverability template is for you.
What Is In This Feature Discoverability Template?
You can seamlessly conduct a Feature Discoverability Test using this Template on Qatalyst. This template has 10 blocks with sample survey questions for a quick and seamless feature discovery experience.
How To Use This Feature Discoverability Template?
Step 1 - Log in to your Qatalyst Worskspace to access the Dashboard
Step 2- Go to the “Start From Templates” section on the Qatalyst Dashboard
Step 3- Out of the use cases listed on the left, click on “Usability Testing” and then “Feature discoverability template”.
Step 4- Once you click “Use this template” it will redirect you to the survey builder.
Step 5- You can navigate through each block and customize the survey questions based on your requirement.
This template is completely customizable. You can change the welcome and thank you pages, the design, logic, properties and the sample survey questions.
You can also add more blocks of your choice and supplement your survey with technologies Click tracking and Eye Tracking.
Why Should You Use This Feature Discoverability Template?
- You can test the discoverability of features and get pin-pointed actionable insights.
- Go beyond your gut instinct and truly understand why your features are not performing as predicted. You can also stay a step ahead and test their performance pre-launch.
- Identify user pain points and ask questions to get more context.
- Leverage Emotion AI technologies like Eye Tracking and Facial Coding to reduce bias.
Best Practices for Performing Feature Discoverability Tests
If optimizing your feature discovery is on your mind, this section will help you achieve just that. Here are a few best practices you can follow-
- Avoid a cluttered product design-This may seem like a very common best practice, but trust us, it is rarely followed. When you want to showcase everything and prioritize all features equally, you jeopardize the discoverability of the most important features.
- Provide a limited set of options- Don’t go A-La Carte; go buffet with features. Users won't be confused or lost when they have limited options instead of an entire menu. This will increase the chances of them discovering the new features you have added to your product.
- Understand your target audience- To increase discoverability, the feature needs to cater to your user’s pain point. By going through user behavioral patterns, you can understand how they interact with your product.
- Use Pop-Ups and Visual Cues- Remember the paper clip that would show up on the corner of your screen while using Microsoft Word? It used to help us discover new features and shortcuts. Similarly, you can use pop-ups, arrows and other visual cues to enhance discoverability of your features.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is Discoverability in User Experience Design?
Discoverability in UX refers to how simple it is for people to comprehend, locate, recognize, and access the features, functions, or content of a design product. It's crucial for design teams to promote discoverability and awareness because the consumer might not be aware of these elements' existence or the full capabilities of the product.
What is Feature Discovery?
Similar to feature findability, which involves users locating features they already know (or assume) are present in a product, feature discoverability depends on designers producing powerful and incredibly intuitive digital experiences. Without it, it may be difficult to discover new features or information within the website or app, which may be devastating for both customers trying to do straightforward tasks and product teams who observe features working poorly.